Sweetcorn is synonymous with the green giant, why not become a green fingered giant and learn how to grow some with our step-by-step guide!
Sweetcorn plants are easy to grow, and just by doing minimalistic work, you can enjoy the delicious taste of this sweet and soft crop. Sweetcorn is a yellow and white-coloured crop that is usually grown around the spring season. Frost-free weather conditions ensure the best growth of sweetcorn.
If you are looking for the right way to grow sweetcorn at home, you must follow this given detailed guide of growing sweetcorn at home. It will take cover the complete process of sweetcorn plantation from sowing the seeds to its harvesting.
How To Plant Sweetcorn
Before planting sweetcorn, you need to know the suitable soil conditions to grow sweetcorn. Sweetcorn seeds can be planted in soil that is not highly fertile but has a significant amount of microorganisms living in the soil. If you have such solid conditions in your garden, you too can grow sweetcorn at home.
The best time to plant the seeds of the sweetcorn plant is after the last frost of spring has occurred. To grow good quality sweetcorn, you need to make sure that the plant gets ample amount of warm temperature, and hence, its seed must be sewn as soon as the last spring frost happens.
For planting sweetcorn seeds, it requires a wide-spaced garden where the process of sweetcorn growth can efficiently take place. There are many varieties of sweetcorn available that can be grown at home.
Choose the one that fits your requirements. Then take a few sweetcorn seeds and plant them 1.5 to 2 inches deep in the soil. Make sure them to sow them 4 to 6 inches apart from each other. Ensure that the rows must have a distance of 30 to 36 inches from each other. Water the plant generously after planting the seeds in the soil.
How To Care For Sweetcorn
How To Harvest Sweetcorn
Harvesting the sweetcorn plant is an essential element that must be done with proper steps and care. When the tassels of the plant start turning brown and the cobs start to swell, it is the right time to harvest. Remember that the kernels must be full and milky before you harvest the plant. To harvest the crop:
- Start by pulling the ears of the plant downward and then twisting it clockwise to remove the stalk.
- Sweet corns usually start losing their sweetness soon after they are harvested, so make sure to use them as quickly as possible.
- You can freeze the harvested sweetcorn for preserving them for the coming days. Else, prepare them for eating with some salt and lemon.
Growing sweetcorn is a simple process that requires a very little amount of care. Therefore, if you love to eat the food built from your hands, this is a must-try crop that is easy to grow and delicious to eat.
Tips & Common Problems
The below-given tips will help you manage the growth of sweetcorn plants efficiently so that the end result turns out to be excellent.
- If planting different varieties, make sure to plant them far apart from each other to avoid cross-pollination.
- Fertilize the plants with a balanced product like 10-10-10 NPK every three to four weeks.
- Sweetcorn plants have an extremely high growth rate. Within weeks, the plant achieves a good amount of height. Therefore, make sure to check if the plants require any external support every 2-3 weeks.
- Provide one inch of water to the sweetcorn plant per week for efficient growth.